Forums » Technology

I turn on the air conditioner laundry room smells like sewage

• 58 posts
    July 4, 2021 5:24 PM EDT

Hello everyone The first post is here in search of help!

A couple of years ago, we had a backup sewer system that left 3 feet of water in our basement. After that, we had to replace our air conditioner, and we started to smell the sewer (the same smell from the flood) around our house. We thought it was the air conditioner, but it seems that when the AC fan turns on, the smell comes from the drain in the laundry room and fills the house. I poured buckets of water, baking soda, vinegar, soap and even rapeseed oil so that it would not evaporate. Then I took the drain off the floor and took out a toilet brush to wipe it as deep as possible. The smell goes away for about a couple of hours, but then it returns. We rarely use this room, but it slowly crawls back out. We just put in new tiles, so I'm trying not to tear anything... even if it's a small nuisance. So, I had 2 ideas.

1. I temporarily filled a bag with baking soda and put it on top of a towel with a small bucket so that it would remain stationary. This seems to solve the problem, but my mother is paranoid about the accumulation of gas, although people close the sewers all the time. I don't think this is possible, since people are constantly draining water, but I just wanted to ask your thoughts on this.

• 1 posts
    July 5, 2021 3:39 PM EDT

I think you should go to a professional

• 39 posts
    July 5, 2021 4:22 PM EDT

I understand you very well. I had a similar problem. When I turned on the air conditioner, there was a very unpleasant smell in the house afterward. In addition, my air conditioner often broke down. It hardly ever blew cold air. I wouldn't say I like the heat, so it was uncomfortable to be in the house when the air conditioner broke. An old friend of mine advised me to contact an air conditioner service company. I called a technician to my home. They came very quickly and easily coped with the problem. Now the air conditioner works like new. The unpleasant smell is gone. In general, I am delighted with the service. You can safely go to this company. https://www.airconservicing.org/

• 1 posts
    April 2, 2022 5:57 AM EDT

This smells because of the close room all the time, not cleaning or sericing Air Conditioners regularly, having the washroom attached to the room or having moistured environment or wet clothes in the room.. Maintaining cleanlniness will help to get rid of it. 

• 3 posts
    April 2, 2022 7:06 AM EDT

There are several reasons for the stench from the air conditioning system:
    microbial growth
    unauthorized odors in the room
    absence of siphon on moisture exhaust pipes
    long downtime
    clogged drain
    time to change the filter

• 6 posts
    April 2, 2022 7:21 AM EDT

Good afternoon, the problem was as follows: not quite professional installers installed the air conditioner, the pipe with the drain down into the sewer. The water trap was not put, did not make a loop. In a whole it carries a sewer from a conditioner. The problem is only now, because only a week ago we moved. Question: What to do now, given that the finish trim has already been done and break what is not desirable. So it is better to go to an experienced, proven here.

This post was edited by Tony Brooks at April 12, 2022 10:27 AM EDT
    • 5 posts
    April 2, 2022 7:41 AM EDT

1. Contaminants, fungi and bacteria
    If the air smells damp and musty, there are probably colonies of microorganisms in the air conditioner. You will have to do a thorough cleaning.
    2. Improper installation of the drainage system
    If the drainage system takes the condensate into the sewer system, and the smell of effluent hangs around the apartment, then the drainage system performs the function of a sewer duct. If your conditioner is installed just now - it means that condensate drain is installed incorrectly.
    3. Refrigerant leakage
    If after turning on the air conditioner the smell spreads with obvious chemical notes, probably the integrity of the cooling system is broken and the leaking refrigerant is poisoning the air.
    Contact only professionals.

• 658 posts
    April 9, 2022 3:41 AM EDT

Good to have this kind of article. Now you've figured it out.   INDIAN VISA FOR US CITIZENS 

• 240 posts
    June 13, 2022 3:24 AM EDT

There are many other rooms to explore, like the kitchen, the sunroom, the bedrooms, and the bathrooms. I will not share all the photos with you; I want to leave some surprises for you. Go check out the mansion yourself. Above is only a snapshot of what you will explore. The bedrooms hold some surprises, as do the upper balconies. The Howey Mansion